The Woolson Block is a 4-Story, Italianate-style brick building built in 1868. The building was well-kept as a mixed-use building, but in recent years, it had fallen into disrepair, leading to a tax sale by the owners. It had been partially demolished and had started renovations. Springfield Housing Authority partnered with Evernorth to purchase the building to renovate the space into commercial and affordable housing.
H.P. Cummings Construction Company helped bring this building into a new phase of its life cycle. Not only did we create 15 rental apartments, but we also created four single-room occupancies for homeless and at-risk youth and commercial spaces that were ready for occupants. One of the biggest objectives of the renovations was to stabilize the face of the ledge underneath the building from falling into the river, which was done by drilling into the ledge and placing anchors and epoxy to hold together the rock.